While economic conditions may have affected or delayed the retirement plans of some, there is still a great number of baby boomers reaching retirement age.
According to a Dell Web survey of baby boomers, 55% of them plan to move when they retire.
If you own a home it is likely your most valuable asset. Although there may be many emotional ties to your current home, you should consider if its the right place for you in retirement.
There are many good reasons to consider downsizing or relocating for retirement:
- Retiring with debit is not optimal; perhaps you can downsize and eliminate the need for a mortgage completely.
- Even if you don’t have enough equity to buy a smaller home outright, reducing the size of your mortgage payment will likely improve your financial security in retirement.
- Your housing needs during retirement will most likely be different than your current needs and you may want to find a home and community that better suits your retirement needs.
- Moving to an area with a lower cost of living, lower energy costs and better tax environment are all things that can benefit you financially.
- Moving to an area that offers a climate or community that is a better fit for your retirement can have a positive impact on your retirement lifestyle.
You might move out of your large suburban home into a condo by the beach. Or, relocate across the country to be closer to family. Perhaps your health would benefit from a different climate.
No matter your motivation, retirement should be a time for you. Find the place to make these years the best they can be.
Be sure to consider the following points when evaluating retirement locations:
- Proximity to family
- Adult education opportunities
- The number and types of doctors
- Air Quality
- Crime rates
- Availability and cost of recreational activities
- Availability and cost of cultural activities
- Ease of travel—proximity to transit systems, airports, train stations, etc.
- Cultural events and festivals
- How easy is the property to maintain
- Does the home have stairs
- Could the home accommodate a wheel chair if necessary?
Many companies offer the price saving benefit of their relocation program to retiring employees. Be sure to check with your Human Resources Representative about this important benefit. Once you choose your new home and are ready to move—A. Arnold World Class Relocation will be there to get you moved into your new home with ease.
Subscribe to Allied Van Lines Agent's Blog